A while ago I bought the AA3000+ PCB, it is basically a redesign from the scrapped AA3000 project, an Amiga 3000 with AGA, Redesign by Hese.
(Hm need to include links to projectpage is there is one)
So here is how I did (or technically doing as I am at writing point not done yet) my build. I try to do it like I have done all other buildguides, from a minimal setup to a more working machine.
BUT as I have no schematics or so, some parts will be by guessing and how I did on the A3000 and A4000 builds.
BUT as usual I start with a board with ALL passives on. (this uses small resistornets etc, be careful to solder them right without bridges)
I made a Locatorpage for this instead of using the file by Hese:
First, POWER to the board. so add the Powerconnector and the headers for the LEDs to the bottom left.
I put my LED board here to see that it works. power on and:
Led is light, that means +5V works.
Time to fix so the board can handle a reset:
Add U692 (74F32) and U693 (7407)
now reset is up, time to get a V and H sync out of the RGB port.
so add Gary, Lisa, Alice and U182 (74LS166), 28MHz Oscillator (U121) and the 23 pin RGB port.
and as I say: SOCKETS! they are the biggest reason people have issues with their builds. only put on sockets if you know how to put it there securly.
(well this board is not a board for beginners of SMD soldering 🙂 )
this leaves the board at this state:
So if your monitor reacts at sync it should do that now. (or you check it on the RGB port with oscilloscope) (NOT VGA)
so to make the board run some actual code:
add U690 (74F08), U204, U691 (74F04), U352 (7407), U304 (1488), U354, U195 (74LS174), U106 (74F74), U252 (74F86), U105 (74F244), U253, U254 (74FCT16543), U255, U861, U865 (74FCT16245), U686, U682, U683 (74FCT1646), ROMS (populate with DiagROM), CPU, 50MHz oscillator, U107 or U102 with delayline and U350 (8520)
Also add Jumpers: J102 (set to 2-3), J104 (set to 1-2), J100 (set to 1-2)
now when you power on. the powerled should change brightness after 1 second. and board looks like:
Now add U202, U203 (Programmed ofcourse!) and Paula and the serialport. (CN300)
Diagrom should now output serialdata:
Now is a good time to add the CPU-Slot, the FPU and all jumpers and it is like this:
I will include CORRECT jumpersettings down here, on picture MIGHT be wrong so use this text instead:
<TO BE UPDATED>
Anyway, now add the memory chips for Chipmem, U694 and U681 (programmed ofcourse)
DiagROM should now find Chipmem and output:
(do not ask me why I did not screenshot that instead 🙂 )
Now add U453, U452 (74FCT16245), D456 (LM385-1.2) and the VideoDAC. and we should get a screen:
Now time for the fastmem.
I soldered U893 with a socket, however there is no code for this GAL, and what I understand it will require a redesign to get 64MB to work. so skip 64MB mem, will apperntly not work. no need to add this socket.
add U895 (74F244), U894 (74FCT16244), U892, U891 (74FCT16245)
Ramsey and Simmsockets:
(picture here with just one 8MB simm so you can see all components)
For audiom add U401, U402 (LF347) no idea if both are used for audio, as no schematics. but well add them.
and audioports. AUDIO will however not work as no electrolytes in place.
however it looks like:
Also time to add the U300 CIA and U305 (1489) so CIA will work, and we will have serial input aswell:
Time to get the floppy working.
Add U353 (74LS00), U355 (74LS08), U351 (74LS74), and internal and external floppyconnectors.
Intsall the Parallel/external SCSI connector (Dual 25pin Dsub), put in headers for the SCSI termination and then add the terminatorresistors, SCSI connector, and DMAC.. I got an issue here that machine will not start with Dmac installed. it will be fixed later down here.
ABOUT SCSI Termination! the terminators shold be on the board if you do NOT have any external scsi device! learn about SCSI termination.
anyway area looks like:
Now I add the GAL chips to the right.
REMEMBER if you will use a DSP a patch is needed (maybe more later not known yet)
You need to run a bridging wire between between U122 pin 5 to U124 pin 27.
so this is when I am done:
I have currenlty programmed the GALS with “NO DSP” code, and skipped those 2 needed for the DSP. all to get the rest working first.
(NOW again machine boots with DMAC in, atleast when I put in U124)
time to add Buster:
And put in A3000 Kickstartroms AND:
Board WILL now boot! nice.
I will take a small rest now, and do the rest of the build in some days for Part2!